Thursday, January 6, 2011

You are the Music....

...while the music lasts. -T.S. Eliot

Way back when I was in high school (way, way, way back), I got an electric guitar for Christmas one year. I got a guitar and my brother got a drum set. Neither one of us played, but it's still one of the coolest gifts I've ever gotten. My brother eventually sold his drum set, but I held on to my guitar. Always with the hope that I would play...someday.

The years have passed, and the guitar has been moved from room to room until, at last, it's found a quiet place in our laundry room, right next to Mike's acoustic guitar (he doesn't play either). Mike's guitar is in a box, but mine is not, which makes it ever so tempting to little boys who like noise, buttons, strings, and things that really aren't toys and really shouldn't be played with.


















Imagine my surprise when I see my little boy lugging this big guitar out of the laundry room. He was working hard, but was determined. He made it all the way to the living room and up on the couch.


















"I want to play la guitar." I couldn't possibly take it away after he'd worked so hard to free it from it's spot in the laundry room. So, I let him play...and quietly snapped some pics with my phone. I've edited them with a heavier hand than I normally use, but I like the kind of grungy feel (I can almost hear my brother's eyes rolling) these have.


















He was gentle, content, and I couldn't have been happier to share in this moment.


















"Music washes away form the soul the dust of everyday life." -Berthold Auerbach


















"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be silent if no birds sang except the best." -Henry Van Dyke

No comments:

Post a Comment